Happy September everyone! Here in Antigonish we’re welcoming the students back to STFX, enjoying the last few swims in the ocean and the bounties of our (or other people’s) gardens. Lots going on in town this time of year, but here are a few events not to miss!
GABE MINNIKIN & STAN CAREW
Saturday, September 6, 9pm $10
Gabe Minnikin is a Townhouse favourite. He’s played here several times already, on his own and with his sister Ruth, and we always look forward to his return. He got his start as 1/4 of the fabled Halifax folk supergroup The Guthries (along with Matt Mays, Dale Murray, and Ruth Minnikin), famously championed by legendary BBC radio DJ John Peel.
The multi-instrumentalist has since been pursuing a solo career, which has allowed his remarkably deep, powerful voice to take centre stage. He cites Lucinda Williams, Steve Earl, Ron Sexsmith and The Band as major influences and has shared the stage with alt-country heavyweights Calexico and The Handsome Family. After several years in Manchester England, Gabe has moved back to NS and recently spent some time working at CBC radio, where he became fast friends with Stan Carew.
Stan Carew has been the host of Weekend Mornings since 1997. He says it will the final stop on a radio road that started in 1968 at CHNS in Halifax. The journey included CKBW in Bridgewater, NS; CKEC in New Glasgow, NS; CKWW in Windsor, Ontario; CFDR in Dartmouth, NS; and C-100 and Q-104 in Halifax, NS.
Stan is also a musician and songwriter, having released four albums since 1997. He and his band the Magpies spent five years performing benefit concerts at halls large and small across the Maritime before disbanding in 2012.
As an actor he’s appeared in dozens of film and television productions, appeared in movies that featured Harrison Ford, Sissy Spacek, James Caan and Cybill Shepherd. His television credits include Trudeau and Trailer Park Boys. He is also the off-camera voice of CBC Television’s This Hour Has 22 Minutes.
Check out Gabe’s tunes here: http://music.cbc.ca/#/artists/GABRIEL-MINNIKIN
50% Local Club Craft Beer Dinner
Also, we wanted to let you know how excited we are about our plans to host a big dinner, September 20th, celebrating all the wonderful local food we have access to this time of year and two of our great local brewers! We’re putting on this event as part of the 50% Local Club – an organization asking individuals, businesses, and institutions in NS to pledge to make 50% of their meals or grocery bills local food for the month of September.
There will be special events and workshops all over the province, as well as social media sites to share recipes and ideas. Find out more here, or check out the Facebook group. Anyway, we encourage you all to join – we did! – or at least to come and check out some of the 50% Local Club dinner specials we’ll be featuring over the next few weeks, and definitely consider buying a ticket to our 50% Local Club Beer Dinner when they go on sale. It’s going to be a pretty special evening, here’s some more of our plans…
– 4-5 courses featuring the wares of local producers
– each paired with a special beer from The Townhouse Brewery or Big Spruce in Nyanza
– there’ll be Antigonish County lamb/pork, local cheeses, Mabou Oyster’s, and homemade breads
– Duck from MacLennan’s Glen’s (this is Carin, our server!)
– Beautiful, ultra-fresh produce from Seabright Gardens (Susie & Will, our part-time chef) and Michael Overmars (Bethany Market Garden Training program intern), and MacLennan’s Glen
– All our producers, brewers & chefs will be present and take a minute to talk about how each dish came about…
Finally – don’t forget these great UP-COMING EVENTS:
– Jazz Night: wicked live jazz, every Thursday at 9pm! No cover.
– CASK NIGHT We tap a new cask every Friday at 5pm, up tomorrow: The Porter!
– Irish Session on Sundays from 6:30 on! No cover, but it does tend to fill up by 6:30 or 7pm
– This coming Tuesday, Sep.9: Petunia and the Minimalist Jug Band! 9pm $10 at the door!